Talicious Spiced Plum Butter Cake with Lemon Zest Whipped Cream
Ingredients for the cake:
113g unsalted butter
2 cups of chopped plums
3/4 cups of all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 large whole eggs plus 1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla essence
3/4 cups sugar
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
1.5 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
Ingredients for the cream:
250 ml fresh cream
1/2 a lemon zest
Slices of fresh plums to top off the dessert - if desired.
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Butter a 20cm cake tin.
3. In a frying pan over low heat, melt the butter, reserve 6 tbs for later. Add the plums and cook for
approximately 10 minutes. * Do not use any of the juice from the pan, only the plums.
4. In a small bowl combine together the flour, salt and baking powder.
5. In a large bowl beat the whole eggs and egg yolks until blended.
6. Add the reserved melted butter, sugar, vanilla and lemon zest.
7. Stir in the dry ingredients and plums - * Do not use any of the juice from the pan, only the plums.
8. Spoon the batter into the prepared baking tin, smoothing the top.
9. Bake until cake is browned, 30 - 35 minutes.
10. Transfer the cake to a wire rack and allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Invert the cake onto a
plate to remove the pan then invert again and return the cake to the rack to cook completely.
1. Whip the fresh cream on high speed until medium to stiff peaks are formed, approximately 1 minute. *
Do not over beat.
2. Fold in the lemon zest.
Assembling the dessert:
1. Break the cake up into uneven pieces.
2. In a glass dessert bowl layer the uneven cake pieces followed by a layer of the lemon zest whipped
3. Continue to layer until the cake is finished.
4. Complete the dessert with a final layer of cake and whipped cream in-between.
5. You may place some thinly sliced fresh plums on top and sprinkle some cinnamon to finish it off.